Start small for BIG Results
Do you ever feel like you are trying to tackle the same goal over and over again? Unable to achieve it. Feeling perhaps a little discouraged?
Believe it or not this is a VERY common feeling for most. It's not always that people don't have good intentions or lack effort but sometimes it's that we take on too much at once. We aren't realistic about where we are NOW and how much we have to give. Feeling like we need to have that” all or nothing” or perfectionism mentality. When in fact that type of mindset can set you up for failure before you even start.
Having the “all or nothing” approach can definitely reinforce a start and stop behavior. Feeling like if you can’t do it all right away, youjust quit. Or if you feel like everything has to be perfect or if there is a small bump in the road, it throws you off course and makes you very rigid, not allowing you to learn, adapt and persevere.
So, here is what we can suggest to you if you are finding yourself in a similar merry-go-round situation or mindset. It is actually a very simple task.
5 Simple Steps: Pick 1 thing. 1 goal. Yes, only 1 and resist the urge to add more. This in itself is going to be a challenge for most, as we tend to feel that more is better, when we can’t even establish the basics.
1. Pick a realist goal. One that you know is within your limits (money, time, etc). And it doesn't even have to be something big. Start small. In fact, we encourage you to pick something small to start. For example. Drinking more water.
2. Break that goal into smaller steps and write them down. Be specific. Ask yourself, "what do I need to do to achieve that goal?
3. Then, start from the smallest, almost fail proof step to start working towards your goal.
4. Perform that small step everyday, consistently.
5. Once you have successfully performed the smaller step for at least 2 weeks and it has become more of a habit, add the next step to the goal, while still maintaining the first one.
It's kind of like working backwards. Smallest to biggest. Think about this like chains in a link. Start with one link and add on another and another and another. Until you get to the end.
These small attainable goals is what allows you to practice being successful, increasing your self esteem and have you working systematically towards the bigger reward. If you have spent more than 6 months trying to work towards a goal, it's time to reassess how you're going about it and perhaps it's time to take a step back and pick just 1 thing.
Keep it simple!!!
If you need any guidance in reaching your goals, we are just a quick email away.
#apexphysiques #goals #fitness #achieve #health #lifestyle #nutrition #behavior #coach #onlinecoaching #babysteps #success